Cabo da Roca is the most western point on mainland Europe and it is just extraordinary. It alone is reason enough to travel to and visit Portugal. It also makes for a adventure of a bus ride to/from Sintra. You know the kind of ride that is a result of a crazy speedy Gonzalez bus driver + huge city bus + narrow roads + concrete walls on one side and cliffs on the other + oncoming traffic including more huge city buses. Did I mention the road was so wild and also extremely common? I know this because there was a man on the bus videoing the whole sha-bang and he said that playing chicken with other buses is common for the route. So what I am saying is you too can experience the wild bus ride out and back from CdR for just a few Euros. You know you want to! The 403 bus ride is like a 45 min long roller coaster – are you enticed yet??
Here are some more enticers:
– CdR is a great spot to split a traditional Portuguese Pastry with a friend
– CdR makes you feel on top of the world (kinda like King Kong atop the Empire State Building)
– CdR will provide you a Marilyn Monroe dress blowing up moment (this may or may not have happened to me…or someone else)
– CdR is the most western point in mainland Europe
– Sunsets are great out here – time your trip accordingly
I will let the pictures do the rest of the speaking for me.